The Department of Human Services, Office of Child Care and Regulatory Services is preparing to celebrate the “Week of the Young Child,” which takes place from April 3 – 7.
Commissioner Designee Blyden said, “Every year we look forward to staging special events for the young children in the territory. This year, the staff in the Office of Child Care and Regulatory Services has scheduled daily events so as to heighten the community’s awareness on the needs of our young children.”
The national theme this year is “Celebrating the Youngest Learners,” and the planning committee is comprised of stakeholders that include private child care providers. Child care providers are encouraged to participate in the week’s events, which include:
- Monday, April 3 (Theme: Work Together, Build Together, Learn Together) – Open House Activity at all participating child care centers
- Tuesday, April 4 (Theme: Sing, Dance and Celebrate) – Parade from Sunday Market Square (Times Square) to Fort Christianvaern
- Wednesday, April 5 (Theme: Sharing Stories / Storytelling) – Gov. Kenneth E. Mapp, Lt. Gov. Osbert Potter and staff read to the youngsters.
- Thursday, April 6, 2017 (Theme: Sharing Stories / Storytelling) – Senators read to children in Midre Cummings.
- Friday, April 7, 20017 (Theme: Fun Day) – Fun Day at D.C. Canegata Ball Park
“Our children and their development are very important to our mission at the Department of Human Services. It is equally important that we continue to partner with every stakeholder as together we ensure their path towards a bright future,” said Blyden.