Halloween isn’t just for kids anymore, although the week is filled with activities for pint-sized super heroes and heroines as well as for costumed adults.
The week started Saturday with Jumbies in the Garden hosted by St. George Village Botanical Garden and the Children’s Museum of St. Croix.
On Sunday, Leatherback Brewery held its Fall Festival and Trunk or Treat with games for kids and a decorated car parade. (Trunk or Treats involves decorated cars with a trunk full of candy to hand out to children. Parents meet in a parking lot and visit while kids trick or treat.)
Events for the Family
– Krewe De Croix will open its haunted house to kids and adults from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday to raise funds for the group’s Christmas toy give-away. Entry fee is $5 for children or $2 with a toy and $15 for adults or $10 with a gift. The location is the former Patilidis in Gallows Bay behind Sharkey’s.
– On Halloween, the traditional Galloween will begin at 4 p.m. in Gallows Bay, with merchants handing out treats for kids and photos and a costume contest at Undercover Books. The free event ends at 6 p.m.
– Clean Sweep Frederiksted invites children to the Not So Scary Kids Spooktacular at the Athalie McFarlane Petersen Library and Dorsch Theater on Strand Street. The family event from 5 to 8 p.m. will include face painting, a magic show, a children’s movie and a Trunk or Treat contest with cash and gift card prizes.
Halloween for adults only:
– The Caravelle Hotel and Casino Spooktacular Halloween Party and Costume Contest. Music, snacks and drinks start at 7 p.m. with a costume contest at 10 p.m. More than $1,000 in prizes will be given away during the free event.
– Sharkey’s Bait Stand will hold its annual karaoke costume contest starting at 9:30. The karaoke competitors will compete for $500 in cash prizes.
– The Fred Hotel’s Hallowscream is a dance party and costume contest from 5:30 to 10 p.m. Tickets are $5. Guests must be over 18 years old and no real or fakes weapons will be allowed.
– CHOP Bar and Grill will offer music, special drinks and fun with the Gentlemen of Jones from 10 to 11:59 p.m. Tickets are $10 in advance at CHOP or from a Gentlemen of Jones member. Prizes will be awarded for the best costumes.
– Krewe De Croix’s adult party, with a cash bar, will begin at 7 p.m. and end at 1 a.m. Entry is through the haunted house at the Patalidis building. Tickets are $15 or $25 for a couple and include music and a costume contest. Funds will be used to buy toys for the annual Christmas Beach Party.