St. John’s holiday season begins Friday with a fashion show, meet the artist events, local foods and live music at the annual Evening in the Courtyard at Mongoose Junction shopping center in Cruz Bay.
“It’s to get everyone in the holiday spirit,” event organizer Michelle Fage said.
The evening kicks off at 5:30 p.m. with a drumming performance by Eddie Bruce and his music students from Gifft Hill School.
Bamboula will host a fashion show in the upper level courtyard at 6 p.m., featuring local models as well as jewelry from Caravan Gallery and clothing from Bougainvillea.
Sun Dog Café will serve free finger food samples from their party menu at the Gecko Gazebo Bar from 5:30 p.m. until the event ends. Ocean Grill will offer a drink special. Tap Room has a new burger and cheese plate to try.
In addition to the socializing, those who make purchases at the various stores and restaurants receive a raffle ticket for each purchase. The winner gets a $1,000 shopping spree at Mongoose Junction. The more you shop, the more tickets you receive and the greater your chance to win the drawing. The drawing will be held at 9:15 p.m. and you must be present to win.
In addition to the raffle and great shopping, many Mongoose shops will also feature activities and presentations for the evening.
Friends of the V.I. National Park Store will feature St. John photographer Steve Simonsen for a "meet the artist" book and calendar signing. His photos will be on display. For Evening in the Courtyard, the store is offering a 10 percent discount. Friends members receive an additional 10 percent off.
Bajo el Sol will have a reception for St. John photographer Caroline Rogers, who will display new photographs and sign copies of her two books. David Laabs will play classical guitar music.
Other events and promotions on the schedule include:
– Best of Both Worlds will showcase new artwork and host a wine tasting;
– Caravan Gallery will introduce the Alchemia jewelry line;
– In honor of their 40th anniversary, R&I Patton Goldsmithing will raffle offan 18-carat pink sapphire set valued at $987 at 8:15 p.m. Shoppers can sign up for the raffle in the store and must be present to win;
– Shoppers at Bougainvillea will receive a free gift with any purchase over $25;
– Just Beach is offering 25 percent off St. John T-shirts;
– Stop by and taste some local jams, condiments, and hot sauces at Island Fancy;
– Fabric Mill is offering glass of champagne to help celebrate their 30th year in business at Mongoose Junction. Make a $20 minimum purchase throughout the day to be eligible for their $200 gift certificate raffle prize drawing;
– Spend $25 at St. John Brewers Brewtique and get a free pint glass. Spend $100 and get a free T-shirt;
– and Sugarbirds will offer a free gift with any purchase over $20.