CARL AND MARIE LAWAETZ MUSEUM
Near Frederiksted 340-772-1539
This 18th century estate house, garden and ruins sits on the edge of St. Croixs western rain forest. The house, along with old furnishings and heirlooms, has been occupied by the same family for the last 100 years.
CHRISTIANSTED NATIONAL HISTORIC SITE
Downtown Christiansted 340-773-1460
This seven-acre park is maintained by the U.S. National Park Service and is home to a number of historic Danish colonial buildings, including Fort Christiansvaern, the best preserved fort in the V.I. The site also includes the Steeple Building Museum, the Scale House, the Old Danish Customs House and the West India and Guinea Company Warehouse.
Like many buildings in Christiansted, the fort was constructed primarily of yellow bricks brought from Denmark as ballast in sailing ships.
CRUZAN RUM DISTILLERY
West Airport Road 340-692-2280
This operating distillery allows visitors to see how world-famous Cruzan Rum is made. The company produces a variety of rum products. Paid tours through the plant are available and there is a tasting bar.
FORT FREDERIK MUSEUM AND ART GALLERY
This red landmark is named after King Frederik V of Denmark and dates back to the 1700s. In 1848, slaves revolting against their condition forced Danish Governor General Peter Von Scholten read his emancipation proclamation from the forts ramparts.
The gallery features changing exhibits of work by local artists.
The two buildings that make up the current configuration of Government House were joined in 1830 to form the seat of Danish government, which was located there from 1755 to 1872. As of July 1999, Government House is being completely renovated. During construction, the building is closed to the public.
ST. CROIX AQUARIUM AND MARINE EDUCATION CENTER
The aquarium is home to live displays of local marine life. The exhibit residents are captured by aquarium staff, kept for a short time and then released back into the wild. Guided tours and interactive displays combine for great entertainment for the whole family. Open through Saturday from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
ST. GEORGE BOTANICAL GARDEN
Estate St. George 340.692.2874
This 16-acre garden features approximately 1,000 varieties of plant life and the ruins of a 19th century sugar cane village and rum factory. The garden is home to collections of cacti, hibiscus and bougainvillea, as well as a fern house and orchid house.
WHIM PLANTATION MUSEUM
Centerline Road 340.772.0598
Whim is a restored sugar plantation that includes a furnished greathouse, slave quarters, cookhouse, windmill and factory site. Interpretive tours are available to educate visitors about the economics, cultivation and processes of a sugar plantation. Detail is given to the enslaved people who lived and worked on the estate.