80.3 F
Charlotte Amalie
Wednesday, May 25, 2022
HomeCommunityHealth & WellnessGenerators Can Be Dangerous; EOC Warns of Carbon Monoxide (CO) Poisoning

Generators Can Be Dangerous; EOC Warns of Carbon Monoxide (CO) Poisoning

The St. Croix Emergency Operations Center (EOC) warns residents against the negative effects of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. They are strongly warned against the practice of using generators indoors, in an enclosed or partially enclosed porch, and garages.

According to the Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA), CO is a colorless, odorless, toxic gas that interferes with the oxygen-carrying capacity of blood. CO is non-irritating and can overcome persons without warning. Many people die from CO poisoning, usually while using gasoline powered tools and generators in buildings or semi-enclosed spaces without adequate ventilation.
Effects of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

  • Severe carbon monoxide poisoning causes neurological damage, illness, coma and death.

Symptoms of CO Exposure

  • Headaches, dizziness and drowsiness
  • Nausea, vomiting, tightness across the chest
Advertising (skip)
Advertising (skip)
Advertising (skip)
Advertising (skip)

Some Sources of Exposure

  • Portable generators/generators in buildings
  • Concrete cutting saws, compressors
  • Power trowels, floor buffers, space heaters
  • Welding, gasoline powered pumps

Preventing CO Exposure

  • Opening windows and doors in an enclosed space may prevent CO buildup.
  • Make sure the generator has 3-4 feet of clear space on all sides and above it to ensure adequate ventilation.
  • Do not use a generator outdoors if placed near doors, windows or vents which could allow CO to enter and build up in occupied spaces.
  • When using space heaters and stoves, ensure they are in good working order to reduce CO buildup, and never use in enclosed spaces or indoors.
  • Consider using tools powered by electricity or compressed air if available.
  • If you experience symptoms of CO poisoning, get to fresh air right away and seek immediate medical attention.
Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Keeping our community informed is our top priority.
If you have a news tip to share, please call or text us at 340-228-8784.




Support local + independent journalism in the U.S. Virgin Islands

Unlike many news organizations, we haven't put up a paywall – we want to keep our journalism as accessible as we can. Our independent journalism costs time, money and hard work to keep you informed, but we do it because we believe that it matters. We know that informed communities are empowered ones. If you appreciate our reporting and want to help make our future more secure, please consider donating.



STAY CONNECTED

20,771FansLike
4,722FollowersFollow

FROM FACEBOOK

Comments Box SVG iconsUsed for the like, share, comment, and reaction icons
This message is only visible to admins.
Problem displaying Facebook posts.
Error: Server configuration issue