Gov. Kenneth Mapp has appointed John A. Quelch, Ph.D., to fill the vacant position on the University of the Virgin Islands (UVI) Board of Trustees. He will fill the vacancy left by former Trustee Carol Fulp on the 12-member board. His appointment came into effect on April 4.
“It is our pleasure to welcome Dr. Quelch to the Board of Trustees. Dr. Quelch comes with years of expertise, and the contributions and guidance that he has to offer will be valuable to the future of the University,” said Chairman Henry Smock. “His resume is quite extensive and impressive both in regard to academia as well as business.”
Professor Quelch is currently Dean of the School of Business Administration and Vice Provost for Executive Education at the University of Miami. He has served as professor of Business Administration at Harvard Business School from 2013- 2017. He also served as dean, vice president and distinguished professor of International Management at China Europe International School of Business from 2011-2013.
Previously, Quelch was dean (with vice-chancellor status) and professor at London Business School. He has been a professor of business administration at both Harvard Business School and the School of Business Administration at University of Western Ontario between 1977 and 1998.
Professor Quelch holds a Ph.D. in Business Administration from Harvard Business School, a Master’s of Science Degree and a Master’s of Business Administration from the School of Public Health at Harvard University and the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania, respectively. He has a Bachelor’s Degree in Modern History from Oxford University.
His involvement in public service spans nine years. Quelch has also held directorship positions in both corporate, public agency and non-profit organizations from as early as 1987. The new trustee has served on seven international advisory boards between 1991 and 2013. He has held several professional membership statuses and received honors from a few distinguished institutions.
According to the laws of the U.S. Virgin Islands, UVI is governed by the board of trustees, which serves in a dual capacity, as a body politic and corporate for the purpose of exercising general management and control of the affairs of the university; and as a body politic and corporate for the purpose of managing and exercising the powers conferred upon the fund.
The capacity of the board allows for 17 voting trustees:
· Ex-Officio: The Chair of the Board of Education of the Virgin Islands, The Commissioner of Education of the Virgin Islands and the President of the University.
· Public Members: Nine public members shall serve on the board who are appointed by the governor with advice and consent of the Legislature.
· Trustees Elected by the Board: Two members of the board shall be elected by the board.
· Trustees Elected by the Student Body: One member of the board shall be elected by the student body.
· Trustees Elected by the Teaching Faculty: One member of the board shall be elected by the teaching faculty of the university.
· Trustee Elected by the Alumni Association: One member of the board shall be elected by the UVI Alumni Association.
The trustees meet three times a year: March, June and October.