Public Works Commissioner Nominee Nelson M. Petty Jr. notifies the motoring public of two road closures on St. Croix. The bridge on Route 72 — Midland Road at the Calquohoun intersection will be closed; the bridge on Route 64 – North of Melvin Evans Highway at East Airport Intersection (on the approach to VI Paving Inc.) will be closed. No vehicular traffic will be allowed on these bridges until further notice, according to a press release issued Thursday by the V.I. Department of Public Works (DPW).
The road closures are due to severe deterioration of the bridge structures, rendering them unsafe. In the interim, motorists are urged to use alternate routes.
Alternate routes for Intersection of Route 72 and Calquohoun:
- Route 65 – through Castle Burke trailer park
- Route 652 – National Guard Road
- Route 73 – heading toward John Woodson School
Alternate Routes for Route 64, North of Melvin Evans Highway at East Airport Intersection:
- Route 669 – road leading to Department of Public Safety
- Route 663 – Kingshill Road