76.7 F
Charlotte Amalie
Monday, November 28, 2022
HomeNewsArchivesBrief: Some Territory Residents May Get Phone Tax Credit

Brief: Some Territory Residents May Get Phone Tax Credit

Jan. 29, 2007 — If you bought your cell phone on the mainland, you may be entitled to a credit for the excise tax on your 2006 income taxes, a local Internal Revenue Bureau representative said Monday.
"It's a one-time thing," said Tammy Smalls, chief legal counsel for the IRB.
To get it, you'll have to file form 1040EZ-T with the Internal Revenue Service. The credit came about because of a court case between the federal government and mainland phone companies concerning long distance and other bundled services, Smalls said.
The federal income-tax form used by V.I. residents includes a line to report taxes paid to the local government, residents should not fill in that line, she said. Instead they should fill out the form 1040EZ-T. Smalls said $30 is the maximum amount allowed on the credit.
The IRB did not receive any money from the tax, said acting IRB Director Gizette L. Thomas in a news release issued Friday.
The tax was an excise tax, not an income tax, and was not collected by the IRB. Instead, Thomas said, all payments went to the IRS.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Keeping our community informed is our top priority.
If you have a news tip to share, please call or text us at 340-228-8784.

Support local + independent journalism in the U.S. Virgin Islands

Unlike many news organizations, we haven't put up a paywall – we want to keep our journalism as accessible as we can. Our independent journalism costs time, money and hard work to keep you informed, but we do it because we believe that it matters. We know that informed communities are empowered ones. If you appreciate our reporting and want to help make our future more secure, please consider donating.