May 4, 2004 – Fourteen V.I. and federal law-enforcement officers — including, posthumously, Police Officer Cuthbert Chapman will be honored Thursday evening at an awards ceremony at Government House in Christiansted.
The occasion is the presentation by the U.S. Attorney's Office of the 2nd annual Law Enforcement Officer Awards, or LEOs.
In a release issued on Tuesday, U.S. Attorney David M. Nissman said that the ceremony, set for 6 p.m., will "celebrate and recognize" the officers "for their outstanding efforts in law enforcement in the Virgin Islands."
It is important "that we recognize those public servants who put themselves on the line to enforce the laws and to protect all of us on a daily basis," Nissman said.
Chapman will be honored for "heroism in the line of fire." He died on April 26, nine days after being wounded by gunfire during a robbery attempt at the Wendy's restaurant in Sunny Isle Shopping Center, where he was working as an off-duty security guard.
The other honorees are being recognized for their contributions in 2003. They are:
– Peter W. Anderson, resident agent in charge, Inspector General's Office.
– Clifford Goodman, special agent, Federal Bureau of Investigation, U.S. Department of Interior.
– Michael Kean, special agent, FBI.
– Dennis Kinney, special agent, FBI.
– Robert Lask, special agent, Drug Enforcement Administration.
– William Brian Lefevre, special agent, Internal Revenue Service.
– Mark McHugh, special agent, DEA.
– Nicholas Pere, special investigator, V.I. Inspector General's Office.
– Rodney Querrard, agent, Police Department/High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area Task Force.
– The members of the Street Enforcement Team (SET), Police Department.
– Joe Tokarz, special agent, DEA.
Share your reaction to this news with other Source readers. Please include headline, your name, and the city and state/country or island where you reside.
Publisher's note : Like the St. Croix Source now? Find out how you can love us twice as much — and show your support for the islands' free and independent news voice … click here.