82.1 F
Charlotte Amalie
Tuesday, June 18, 2024


June 5, 2003 – For Virgin Islands residents who hold Swedish citizenship, or who previously did so, there is news from Maria Tankenson Hodge, Sweden's honorary consul for the territory.
Under a law recently passed in Sweden, Hodge said in a release, "a Swedish citizen who becomes a citizen of another country may now retain his or her Swedish citizenship."
Further, a person who forfeited Swedish citizenship by becoming a citizen of another nation before July 1, 2001, "may regain Swedish citizenship during the grace period which expires June 30." To do this, the individual must contact the Swedish Migration Board by June 30.
According to Hodge, after the grace period ends on June 30, "a two-year residence in Sweden will be required before you may apply to regain your Swedish citizenship."
The forms that need to be submitted to the board can be accessed online at the Migrationsverket Web site. The page comes up in Swedish, but an English version also can be accessed. Click on the left-hand menu "Citizenship" option.

Publisher's note : Like the St. Croix Source now? Find out how you can love us twice as much — and show your support for the islands' free and independent news voice … click here.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Keeping our community informed is our top priority.
If you have a news tip to share, please call or text us at 340-228-8784.

Support local + independent journalism in the U.S. Virgin Islands

Unlike many news organizations, we haven't put up a paywall – we want to keep our journalism as accessible as we can. Our independent journalism costs time, money and hard work to keep you informed, but we do it because we believe that it matters. We know that informed communities are empowered ones. If you appreciate our reporting and want to help make our future more secure, please consider donating.