March 18, 2003 – Addelita Cancryn Junior High School students were evacuated from their classrooms around noon Tuesday after a bomb threat was telephoned in to the school.
It was the first such scare at the school since November 2001, when four threats were received within three days, the last two occurring hours apart on the same day.
Some 847 students once again scurried down the road to Joseph Aubain Ballpark in Frenchtown on Tuesday and to the other evacuation site, the school athletic field to the west of the school grounds.
School Principal Yvonne Pilgrim was not immediately available for comment, but an aide in her office said both Police Department and Fire Service personnel had responded to the scare. The aide said the students were back at their studies by about 1 p.m.
Deputy Police Chief Theodore Carty said afterward that his officers had searched the school and found nothing suspicious. He said that, as far as he knew, those responsible for the previous threats had never been apprehended. Fire officials confirmed that a truck had been sent to the school.
Publisher's note : Like the St. Thomas Source now? Find out how you can love us twice as much — and show your support for the islands' free and independent news voice … click here.