Here’s what’s on tap at the V.I. Legislature this week.
On Thursday, April 25, the St. Thomas community was enjoying J'Ouvert when the celebration was shattered by gunshots which injured three people. Public safety officials immediately canceled the remainder of J'Ouvert.
Whose being misled? o Juan F. Luis Hospital's CEO,firing Licensed Practical Nurses and CNAs is the path to becoming a magnet hospital. The only person's to be replaced in the quest for "Magnet" status would be the CEO himself and the board according to the requirements for "Magnet" status.
"Magnet hospitals should be nursing institutions
1. At least 51% of the board of trustees should be nurses.
2. The CEO of the hospital should be a nurse.
Magnet hospitals should seek to provide the best care possible based on the latest research
1. Magnet hospitals should be non-profit institutions. Corporate profits have no ethical place in the delivery of health care. Studies show that non-profit nursing homes provide better care than for-profit nursing homes.
2. Uninsured patients should pay no more for any service, procedure or item than the lowest amount accepted by the hospital from any private or government insurance program.
3. Absolutely no dumping of patients should occur.
4. Patients should not be woken to have labs drawn. If physicians want lab results with their rounds, they should come to the hospital at noon or later, so lab draws do not interrupt sleep and patient health.
Magnet hospitals should exist to provide humane care to all patients
1. Music in should be provided in rooms of all patients. A growing body of research shows that music reduces pain, blood pressure, depression, physical signs of stress and cortisol levels. See this interesting research in many different studies by nurses from Japan, South Korea and Sweden.
2. Noise should be reduced as much as possible. See the nursing research.
1. Magnet hospitals and each person who works in them including physicians, should adhere to the principles of accepting no gift from any pharmaceutical company or medical supply company, and be a member of No Free Lunch.
2. Being that hospitals are nursing institutions, the ethics committee should be comprised of at least half nurses.
3. Magnet hospitals should follow the Code of Ethics for Nurses."