Forums

St. John
St. Thomas
St. Croix

GOVERNMENT & POLICE NEWS

DPNR Resumes Accepting Electrical Permits for Renewable Energy Systems

The V.I. Department Planning and Natural Resources (DPNR) has resumed accepting electrical permits for renewable energy systems including those for…

Audio Galleries

With schools across the territory getting ready for a Sept. 2 opening date, V.I. Education Commissioner Donna Frett-Gregory told the community the Education Department is focused on "putting in the framework we need to support our students, our teachers and our administrators."

Currently:Click for Saint Croix, Virgin Islands Forecast
Forums — St. Thomas — General discussion
CommentLog in or Register to CommentE-mailE-MAILPrintPRINT
A call for a special session of the VI legislature concerning broadband
Mar 26, 2011 - 02:03

March 26, 2011

Honorable Governor John deJongh jr
Office of the Governor
Government House 21-22 Kongens Gade
Charlotte Amalie St. Thomas, VI 00802

Dear Governor deJongh jr:

In regards to the very important VI government's ongoing broadband initiative that would allow the issuance of up to $42 million in gross receipts tax bonds to help finance the broadband project, using multiple American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) grant awards for the territory, I ask that you call the legislature into special session as soon as possible.

Members of the legislature during the last session on Thursday had some concerns with the initiative concerning transiency and other issues which I believe could easily be addressed again in this session with your financial team on hand. However as you are very aware any delay in filing the required reports to the National Telecommunications and Information Agency on this highly competitive imitative by the March 31 deadline would seriously threaten or halt the project.

I ask that your administration for do all that you can with the assistance of the VI legislature to make this positive dream of broad band be available to all in the VI.

Thank you,

Jason Budsan
St.Thomas