80.7 F
Charlotte Amalie
Friday, March 29, 2024
HomeNewsArchivesLee Carle Robbed, Beaten by Gunmen

Lee Carle Robbed, Beaten by Gunmen

Veteran newsman Lee Carle was robbed at gunpoint and beaten in his home on Blackbeard’s Hill Friday night by two gunmen who broke into the home and awakened him demanding money. They made off with $350 in cash, two cell phones, Carle’s laptop computer and gold nugget ring.

Carle described what had happened in his home about 8 p.m. Friday, his voice uncharacteristically mild and hesitant.

"I was in bed where I’d dozed off after watching Jeopardy," he said. "I heard a noise like a SWAT team kicking down the front door, and the next thing I knew two guys came over to the bed and one of them stuck a .25 caliber gun in my face. They woke me and said, ‘Don’t make a sound or we’ll kill you.’

"My pants were on the table next to the bed. They’d taken out my wallet with $350 in it, and for some reason, they left the wallet," Carle said. "They were dressed in black with black masks, one with the right eye showing, the other with both eyes. They had on black baseball caps. They demanded more money and I told them I didn’t have any more."

Then, Carle said, "The guy with he gun stood over me with the gun at my temple, and he said again ‘If you say anything, we’ll kill you.’ The other guy said to get on the floor and he punched me in the stomach, and hit me on the shoulder. I stayed on the floor, and they started to leave, but they picked up my laptop, and, in a final move, pulled my ring off my finger. They already had the cell phones."

Carle said, "Before leaving they again told me not to say anything or they’d gag and kill me. They told me, ‘don’t call the police because we know where you live’. I waited a few minutes until I heard them leave, then I made an unconscious decision, ran out the door and called the neighbors. I called 911."

Carle said, "I think they ran down Bunker Hill to Garden Street or to Hospital Ground. I don’t think it was a crime of opportunity. I had a feeling they knew who I was; otherwise, they would have killed me."

Carle said his neighbors came to his calls, and the police arrived in about 20 minutes. "They knew who I was and where I live. They were very helpful. Detectives Liburd and David Griffith showed up with forensic technician A. David and officer T. Lawrence, and then officer Enid Edwards," Carle said. "The guys were wearing gloves, so there were no prints."

Still audibly shaken, Carle later Saturday reflected on the aftermath of Friday night’s trauma. "I’m alive, and I can replace the material things," he mused. "But, I had just downloaded Skype so I could talk to my daughter and grandkids in Long Beach for the holidays. I don’t know what they’ll [the robbers] will do without the password."

Skype is a software application that allows users to make calls and see others on the computer screen while calling.

Carle said Saturday his shoulder hurt. "They didn’t kick me too hard in the stomach, but I already have an injured shoulder," he said.

He said the VIPD offered him victim advocate assistance. However, whipping himself back into his public persona, Carle said, "She called me, but I’m fine I don’t need anyone. I’ve been through hurricanes here, you know."

He said, "A friend helped me nail the door last night. It’s unsteady. I’ll need a new solid door. We put a big lock on the outside gate and I did a video piece on the damage and what happened."

Carle is offering a reward for return of the items – the laptop, two cell phones and gold ring.

"They can call WSTA 774-1340," he said. "no questions asked."

Melody Rames, VIPD public information officer, said Saturday afternoon, "Police Chief Rodney Querrard is increasing the ‘stop, walk and talk’ patrol in the Garden Street area to provide more police presence, and aid in the investigation of Carle’s home invasion."

Rames asked anyone who has information on this incident to call the Criminal Investigation Bureau at 340-715-5522 or Crime Stoppers USVI at 1-800-222-TIPS.

She also cautioned the public to be on the lookout for anyone selling an Acer laptop computer or a Motorola or Virgin Mobile cell phone. "People should only buy these items from authorized dealers," Rames said

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Keeping our community informed is our top priority.
If you have a news tip to share, please call or text us at 340-228-8784.

Support local + independent journalism in the U.S. Virgin Islands

Unlike many news organizations, we haven't put up a paywall – we want to keep our journalism as accessible as we can. Our independent journalism costs time, money and hard work to keep you informed, but we do it because we believe that it matters. We know that informed communities are empowered ones. If you appreciate our reporting and want to help make our future more secure, please consider donating.

1 COMMENT

UPCOMING EVENTS